Actually, I think the family fortune had very little to do with her decision.  She wanted to avoid a trial because at trial her husband and children would have been compelled under oath to testify against her (they could not lie without sinning, but if they told the truth, it would convict her of the capital crime of aiding Catholic priests).  She wanted to spare them that dilemma.

Incidentally, this is why, in the penal days in Ireland, at Catholic Masses held in the hills in rocky dens under cover of darkness, a sheet was hung to veil hid from sight both the priest and the Mass servers.  This meant that if villagers were arrested and interrogated under oath, they could truthfully say they could not identify the priest or the servers.

Dennis Martin

>>> [log in to unmask] 03/25/05 11:24 AM >>>

Margaret Cltherow:

I'm pretty sure that being pressed to death was the sentence not for someone
who had pleaded guilty or not and been found guilty but for someone who
refused to plead - and so could not, strictly speaking, be 'found guilty'.
By refusing to plead I think you ensured that your family inherited your
goods, whereas if you had properly been found guilty they were confiscated.
So she went to heaven knowing she had saved the family fortune as well.
Rosemary Hayes