Dear Colman, Olivier Messiaen wrote an opera based on the Life of St.Francis. Check the Grove Dictionary for images of the saint. I just saw a famous one at the Frick Collection in NY, entitled "St. Francis in the Desert "by Giovanni Bellini. Marijim Thoene, DMA 1519 Calhoun St. NO, LA 70118 phone: (504) 269-5779 On Mar 21, 2005, at 11:42 AM, Colmán O' Clabaigh wrote: medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture ArialDear Members,   ArialCan anyone advise me of recent work on the cult of St Francis? I am working on an article on devotion to him in late medieval Ireland and am keen to place it in its broader European context. I am particularly interested in any thing relating to his appearance in art, liturgy, hagiography or music.   ArialMany thanks   ArialColmán O'Clabaigh OSB ArialGlenstal Abbey Library ArialMurroe ArialCo Limerick ********************************************************************** To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME to: [log in to unmask] To send a message to the list, address it to: [log in to unmask] To leave the list, send the message: leave medieval-religion to: [log in to unmask] In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to: [log in to unmask] For further information, visit our web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html