From: John Dillon <[log in to unmask]>

> On Tuesday, March 15, 2005, at 1:16 pm, chris crockett wrote:

>> the French experience in this period (c. 1050-1150) is complicated
enough ; i strongly suspect that Italy is a Real Mess.

> A safe guess.  When was Italy not so?

>> Geographical Proximity was definitely a factor, obviously.

> In the case of the stylistically very similar frescoes at Novalesa and
at Sant'Angelo in Formis we are of course dealing with just the opposite.
Hence my mild surprise.

i understood that.

> > the relatively spectacular frescos of the very modest priory of
Berze-la-Ville, not far from Cluny (it was a vacation spot for the
Abbot, i believe)

> > http://www.art-roman.net/bourgogne/bourgogne.htm

> Thanks.  These _are_ relatively spectacular.

more so in the experience of an actual visit rather than merely a virtual
one.

the building really is *quite* small --12 feet wide or so(?), in my '60s
memory.

as i said, i believe that the place wasn't simply a priory but some sort of
"summer residence" of the abbot of Cluny.

otOh, it is interesting to speculate about how many other modest priories
might have had similar spectacular decoration, now lost without a trace.

my reading of the style at Berzé is that it is not *quite* first rate --while
technically Competent, there is a certain "muddiness" to the Vision, a lack of
Clarity.

the execution is, however, Consistent throughout.

and (the 4th "C" in my Criteria), it is a style of considerable Complexity,
which we may assume is a reflection the state of things prevailing at the
Mother House, here not too far away.

>In recompense, here's a site with expandable .jpgs showing some of the
frescoes in the crypt of the cathedral at Anagni (mostly 12th-cent.):
> http://www.santamelania.it/arte_fede/anagni/apoc_anagn.htm
> e.g., this one of the apse:
> http://www.santamelania.it/arte_fede/anagni/imgs/02r_03_02.jpg
> or this:
> http://www.santamelania.it/arte_fede/anagni/imgs/01n_03_02.jpg
> or this:
> http://www.santamelania.it/arte_fede/anagni/imgs/06r_03_02.jpg

also a style of considerable Complexity, lacking a bit of Clarity, executed
Consistently, in a technically Competent manner.

>> very likely reflect the style of the lost frescos once in Cluny II
(or is it III?).

>> this is, i believe, an analogous situation to the one we have at St. Angelo
in Formis, viz-a-viz the lost frescos at Montecassino.

>> except that the St. Angelo frescos are really, really *first* rate.
>> my All Time Favorites, as a matter of fact.

>> the problem with the Priories Theory for Cluny is that it doesn't
seem to have extended much beyond Burgundy.

> <SNIP>

>> so, i wouldn't rule out entirely the possibility that a Mother House could
influence a Daughter quite far removed geographically, and certainly a Mother
as prominent and powerful as Montecassino.

> [J.D.] The problem here is that while Montecassino was the mother house of
Sant'Angelo in Formis, it was _not_ the mother house of Novalesa.  The early
history of Novalesa, as presented to us in its Chronicle, focuses on early
_transalpine_ influences (when founded, the monastery was in Frankish
territory).  In the eleventh century Novalesa had become a priory of its own
successor at Breme in southeastern Lombardy.  And though the distance between
Breme and Montecassino is certainly less than that between Novalesa and
Sant'Angelo in Formis, it is still substantial.

> The connection, I would guess, lies in Hildebrand's Rome, where both
Montecassino's  abbot Desiderius (responsible for the wall paintings at
Sant'Angelo in Formis) and Aldradus, abbot of (Novalesa and) Breme were
active together in the 1060s.  Quite possibly they commissioned the same
painters (if these were like the contemporary mosaicists working in
central Italy, they would be what we would think of today as family
firms) to adorn their abbatial churches.  And, of course, their
priories, some of whose paintings are still with us.

yes, there you go.

in the absence of texts, we must assume that it was this sort "networking"
which played a key role in many such connections, especially between monuments
considerably removed from each other geographically.

the world of High Churchmen in the 11th and 12th cc. was really rather a small
one, as i see it, and if we can put two of them together in the same place at
the same time we have some pretty strong circumstantial evidence to butress a
theory of the conditions which resulted in the connections evident from a
consideration of the style alone.

keeping in mind Suger's statement that he "brought the finest workmen from all
regions" (i paraphrase) to work at St. Denis, and closer to my own interests,
it is very tempting to seek an explaination for the remarkable variety of
styles present on the Royal Portal of Chartres (at least four, and perhaps
five, very distinct styles, some realised by more than one "master") by the
fact that the Bishop who held office at the time the project was begun and,
mostly, completed was Godfrey of Leves (d. 1149), one of the most remarkable
and well-traveled (i.e., well-networked) of all his French contemporaries.

best from here,

"Lots of useless other data points just enlarge the consciousness of the
agrieved showing how particular the pain is."
--Burma Shave

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]