for good reasons, all of the "records" (and CDs) being lost.

puts me in mind of the ingenious solution to the problem which the
Masterpiece
Theater production of "I CLAUDIVS" offered.

the Rank & File of the Praetorian Guards were German, speaking with a thick
accent, sometimes not understanding at all the words of their Centurian, who
spoke in a thick Cockney, "KAISAR!  K-A-I-S-A-R!!" he yells at them at one
point.

Herod speaks with yet another accent, not *particularly* Jewish --or at
least
U.S. Jewish.

almost all of the Upper Class Romans, of course, speak The Queen's English,
just as they did in Claudius' time.

The only thing I liked in the unspeakable Alexander (Mommie Dearest) movie
was the choice to make the rough, upland Macedonians speak with Scots
accents.

DW

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]