Eliana Corbari wrote:

> Since some members find it very difficult to accept that Peter derives
> from a fem. noun, and that the feminine version of the name is
> actually its original, I will address some of the points raised:
>
> 1)      The Gospel passage (Mt. 16:18) where Peter is named by Jesus
> reads as follows:
> From Aramaic "You are KE'PHA' (a stone) and upon this KE'PHA' (a
> stone) I will build my church."
> In Aramaic KE'PHA' is a fem. noun, in both cases.  Which begs the
> question: is it significant that Jesus named Peter with a feminine
> noun?
>
> From Greek: "You are PETROS (a stone) and upon this PETRA (a rock) I
> will build my church."
> In Greek Petros is masc. and petra is fem.

This is all very well, but as we don't have the Gospels in Aramaic, we are
not much further forward.

> 2)      Petra is a feminine name currently given to women in Germany
> and the Netherlands (among other countries).
>
> 3)      Petronella, has it has already been point out, it a feminine
> *diminutive*.  Moreover there is evidence of a Saint Petronella from a
> mosaic in one of the Roman catacombs.  Also, she was the daughter of
> Saint Peter according to Domenico Cavalca, OP (fourteenth-century).

No, it was was pointed out that it was a diminutive of the Roman gens nomen
"Petronius" (fem. Petronia).  "Why?" is a good question, as diminutives seem
to be usually formed from the cognomen, e.g. Drusilla and Agrippina.  For
some reason, women didn't seem to have a praenomen.  "Gens" is feminine, by
the way.

John Briggs

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]