Thanks for the comments, & the book suggestion.  I have it reserved.

I am not happy with the idea that dying-in-childbirth tidied up the ratios.
The documents I have worked with -- generally Venice 1300-1550, including a
necrology for the Greek community for 250 years, suggest that this is much
lower in the list of causes of female mortality than dysenteries, pneumonia
& "fever" (probably often malaria).  I'd like to know about studies on this
topic.

DW

> There are many specific answers to this question depending on when and
where
> and what order we are talking about.  In general, however, a "surplus" of
> women caused considerable anxiety in the 12th century.  Modern scholars
call
> this the "Frauenfrage."
>
> Jo Ann McNamara

to: [log in to unmask]