On Friday, March 11, 2005, at 3:04 am, John Briggs wrote:

> John Dillon wrote:
> > There are, however, clear instances of diminutives in -illa being
> > formed from the nomen, e.g. Iulilla (apparently informal name for
> the> younger Julia), Claudilla (Gaius' first wife, Iulia Claudilla).
> >
> > Perhaps more significantly, a diminutive in -illa can also be
> derived> from a cognomen derived from a nomen, ...
                             The original Domitilla of the imperial
> > Flavian house, Vespasian's wife Flavia Domitilla, may have been
> > another of these: I don't think it's known whether she was named
> > after a Domitius or a Domitianus.
>
> Her youngest son was Titus Flavius Domitianus (the Emperor Domitian).

As he would have been had her maternal grandfather been a Domitius or
had she been named after some Domitianus in her family (e.g., her
father, whose cognomen I believe is also unknown).  Or both (i.e., her
father, on this hypothesis, had been a Domitius adopted into the gens
Flavia with the cognomen Domitianus).  At this point (as opposed to
late antiquity) one couldn't use a nomen _tout court_ as a cognomen.
So the future emperor D. would have to have been named Domitianus
regardless of the name commemorated in his mother's cognomen.

Best again,
John Dillon

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]