Apart from their mentions by Gregory (_Dial._ 2. 2), we have no early
testimonia for either Constantinus (Benedict's immediate successor) or
Simplicius (the third abbot).  If they are not altogether fictional,
the Simplicius of the introductory verses to the RB (interpolated
version) and the Simplicius who is said to have accompanied Maurus to
Gaul could be another person or other persons of the same name.

Is there any evidence that Glanfeuil possessed relics of C. (is he ever
said to have even gone to Gaul?) or of S.?  Peter the Deacon, who
distinguishes between S. the companion of Maurus and S. the abbot, says
that S. the companion of Maurus returned to Italy and died and was
buried at the Lateran monastery and that both C. and S. the abbot died
at Montecassino and were buried there next to Benedict (_Ortus et
vita_, cap. 10-12).  Of course, Peter is not an entirely reliable
source, but his stress on the Cassinese burials of these figures may be
a response to the claims of Fleury and have nothing to do with any
relics of C. and S. at Glanfeuil.  Peter's time is when C. and S. are
historically "recovered" at Montecassino; they figure neither in
Desiderius II's _Dialogi_ nor in the account in cod. cass. 47 of the
dedication of Desiderius' basilica (which names five altars receiving
special consecration) but are said to be paired in Cassinese liturgical
texts from the twelfth century onward.  I'm unable to consult Bloch's
_Monte Cassino in the Middle Ages_ to see what he may say on this score
(I don't own a copy and the library's is checked out to someone).  As
always, clarification would be welcome.

Best,
John Dillon

On Tuesday, March 29, 2005, at 9:03 pm, John Wickstrom wrote:

> Before their relics went to Monte Cassino, I presume, the bones of
> Constantinus and Simplicius were enshrined at  the rebuilt abbey
> church of
> Glanfeuil  in 1119; presumably because the relics of the abbey's
> patron,Blessed Maurus, had been retained by S. Pierre des Fosses
> in Paris,  whence
> they had been taken by the Glanfeuil community fleeing the Vikings
> in the
> 860s.
> JBW

to: [log in to unmask]