Dear Eliana,

On Friday, March 4, 2005, at 4:47 am (my time, not yours!) you wrote,
quoting Phyllis:

> > Peter of Cava (d. 1123)  Peter Pappacarbone was a native of Salerno
> > who became a monk at Cava.  He spent some years at Cluny, and on his
> > return to Italy was appointed bishop of Policastro.  But he resigned
> > his bishopric and returned to Cava.  The monks elected him abbot,
> > but
> > then complained at his strictness, so he left---only to be recalled
> > by the Cava monks again.  Peter introduced Cluniac practices at Cava
> > and attracted many monks and donations.
>
> Pappacarbone in Italian means 'the one who eats coal'.  Perhaps Cava,
> the cave, was/had a coal mine?

The Pappacarbone are one of Salerno's medieval noble families.  In
"popular" accounts of the abbey of the Most Holy Trinity at Cava de'
Tirreni (SA), this name is attached both to the founding abbot,
Alferius, and to the present Peter (the third abbot).  Since the abbey
early enjoyed Salernitan princely and other noble patronage, it's not
unreasonable to suppose that its third abbot might well have belonged to
the local nobility.  But was he really a Pappacarbone or is that merely
later conjecture?  The two places to start looking for an answer would
be the _Vitae quatuor priorum abbatum Cavensium_ (formerly ascribed to
abbot Hugh II[?] of the abbey of the Most Holy Trinity at Venosa [PZ]
but now assigned to his immediate predecessor abbot Peter II of that
abbey), which is our basic source for the sainted Peter, and the
so-called _Romualdi Salernitani chronicon_, which covers local events
down to the year 1178.  Both of these are in RIS, 2d series, where they
are in vols. 6, pt. 5 and 7, pt. 1, respectively; the latter has
recently been re-edited by Cinzia Bonetti, with an Italian translation
and with introductory articles by leading scholars, as Romualdo II
Guarna, _Chronicon_ (Cava de' Tirreni: Avagliano, 2001).  You might find
a reference to a pertinent location in one of these (or perhaps even to
an early charter out of the abbey's incredibly rich archive) in  _La
Badia di Cava_, a cura di Giuseppe Fiengo e Franco Strazzullo (Cava de'
Tirreni: Di Mauro, 1985-90; 2 vols.).

Ditto for a possible coal mine (assuming that you weren't just jesting
about this).  The Lives of the first four abbots contain both the
standard foundation account, with its description of the cave that was
the community's first home), and some details about the abbey's economic
activities.  I don't remember coal, but it's been a while since I read
these.  And wouldn't lignite be a better bet?  Italy is notoriously
coal-poor.

My (untested) assumption about the 'carbone' part of 'Pappacarbone' has
always been that it refers to charcoal.  And possibly, by extension, to
the offal, etc. that medieval south Italian communities burnt on
charcoal pits as a form of public sanitation.  In which case the name
would originally be derogatory and then borne in defiance or the like
(cp. the Neapolitan family name 'Pappacoda", also of medieval origin).
But "Pappa-" might also be "Old Man", as in Oscan 'pappus' (as a proper
noun, one of the character names in Atellan farce) or even as in a not
unheard of term for the bishop of Rome.

Best,
John Dillon

to: [log in to unmask]