On Tuesday, March 15, 2005, at 1:16 pm, chris crockett wrote:

> the French experience in this period (c. 1050-1150) is complicated
> enough ; i
> strongly suspect that Italy is a Real Mess.

A safe guess.  When was Italy not so?

> Geographical Proximity was definitely a factor, obviously.

In the case of the stylistically very similar frescoes at Novalesa and
at Sant'Angelo in Formis we are of course dealing with just the
opposite.  Hence my mild surprise.

> the relatively spectacular frescos of the very modest priory of
> Berze-la-Ville, not far from Cluny (it was a vacation spot for the
> Abbot, i
> believe)
>
> http://www.art-roman.net/bourgogne/bourgogne.htm

Thanks.  These _are_ relatively spectacular.  In recompense, here's a
site with expandable .jpgs showing some of the frescoes in the crypt of
the cathedral at Anagni (mostly 12th-cent.):
http://www.santamelania.it/arte_fede/anagni/apoc_anagn.htm
e.g., this one of the apse:
http://www.santamelania.it/arte_fede/anagni/imgs/02r_03_02.jpg
or this:
http://www.santamelania.it/arte_fede/anagni/imgs/01n_03_02.jpg
or this:
http://www.santamelania.it/arte_fede/anagni/imgs/06r_03_02.jpg

> very likely reflect the style of the lost frescos once in Cluny II
> (or is it
> III?).
>
> this is, i believe, an analogous situation to the one we have at
> St. Angelo in
> Formis, viz-a-viz the lost frescos at Montecassino.
>
> except that the St. Angelo frescos are really, really *first* rate.
> my All
> Time Favorites, as a matter of fact.
>
> the problem with the Priories Theory for Cluny is that it doesn't
> seem to have
> extended much beyond Burgundy.

<SNIP>

> so, i wouldn't rule out entirely the possibility that a Mother
> House could
> influence a Daughter quite far removed geographically, and
> certainly a Mother
> as prominent and powerful as Montecassino.

The problem here is that while Montecassino was the mother house of
Sant'Angelo in Formis, it was _not_ the mother house of Novalesa.  The
early history of Novalesa, as presented to us in its Chronicle, focuses
on early _transalpine_ influences (when founded, the monastery was in
Frankish territory).  In the eleventh century Novalesa had become a
priory of its own successor at Breme in southeastern Lombardy.  And
though the distance between Breme and Montecassino is certainly less
than that between Novalesa and Sant'Angelo in Formis, it is still
substantial.

The connection, I would guess, lies in Hildebrand's Rome, where both
Montecassino's  abbot Desiderius (responsible for the wall paintings at
Sant'Angelo in Formis) and Aldradus, abbot of (Novalesa and) Breme were
active together in the 1060s.  Quite possibly they commissioned the same
painters (if these were like the contemporary mosaicists working in
central Italy, they would be what we would think of today as family
firms) to adorn their abbatial churches.  And, of course, their
priories, some of whose paintings are still with us.

Best again,
John Dillon

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]