At this university there has been some consultation as to how income from the
anticipated increase in fees post 2006 should be spent. Alongside various
noble causes (ranging from lab/library/classroom equipment to research
materials), fee waivers in cases of work/teaching placements have been
mentioned. Remember, too, that linguists are not alone in having this problem,
as there are many other subjects that offer years in industry and other types
of placement for which 50% fees are currently charged. They are all equally
concerned about the future of such programmes. So it may be worth teaming up
with chemists, engineers, &c, should your university still provide a haven for
any such out-of-favour disciplines.
Greetings from Kent,
Osman

School of European Culture,