Hi Julie
Have you had a look at the range of resources produced by the Nuffield
Business and Economics project - there are lots of practical activities
included in the teacher's resources including building your own aircraft in
the classroom!
I also found it useful to set up competitive challenges in the games etc,
used. Doing the division of labour game was a good example of this. Get a
long sheet of wall paper wrapped around some desks as a production line -
the pupils work on the production line and have to work together to produce
more 'cars' or whatever paper based sticking, stapling, folding, things you
want to make compared to those who are craft workers and produce the goods
from start to finish.
The 'Competition Game' on the Nuffield Web site was also a good practical
activity that got students involved and engaged.
http://www.necb.org/go/gcse/resources/modules/module_12.html?a=0
You could also try the Cash Flow resource the Biz/ed Web site - could be a
bit too detailed for some low ability students but you might be able to
adapt it to suit your students.
http://www.bized.ac.uk/learn/business/accounting/cashflow/simulation/index.
htm
Regards
Andrew

--On 18 March 2005 15:56 +0000 STAFF010
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi All
>
> Somebody save my sanity please.
>
> I have a "delightful" group of Year 10's who are driving me nuts!
>
> As is usual in Business Studies they are VERY mixed ability. I also have
> the misfortune to have 6 of the naughtiest boys in the year, a group of
> 27, only 3 girls, ability from predicted A/A* to U, but only 7 are C to
> A*. The three-quarters who are D and below are all male,  hate videos,
> have an attention span measured in seconds and I dare not turn my back on
> them because of the behaviour problems!
>
> The Head's suggestion is more pace and more practical activities! I'm in
> desperate need of some games, simulations, activities which are going to
> enable me to make some progress with them. I'm teaching Finance and
> Accounts at the moment ... how much they are learning is highly debatable!
>
> I need some sanity savers, not just for myself but the handful who
> actually want to be there (as opposed to the majority who were hopeless
> at French and Art so had to do Business Studies!!!!)
>
> All contributions gratefully received (before I end up in the funny farm!)
>
> Julie

----------------------
Andrew Ashwin
Content Developer
Biz/ed
Institute for Learning and Research Technology
http://www.bized.ac.uk
ILRT
8-10 Berkeley Square
Bristol