Nick,
Here's the e-mail.  Originally posted by Deb Cowen.
Best,
Lawrence

Dear urban geographers,

A few weeks ago there was a discussion on the
'crit geog' listserv regarding the
AAG military geography specialty group's fieldtrip at the upcoming meeting in
Denver. List members expressed outrage about the
event for a variety of reasons,
one being that the fieldtrip is only open to U.S. citizens. A list member
pointed out that this directly contravenes the AAG's own statement of
professional ethics.

A few AAG members gathered recently and drafted the statement below, which we
intend to bring to the business meeting at the 2005 AAG meeting in April. We
would like as many AAG members as possible to
sign. If you support the statement
and would like to have your name added, please send an email to
<[log in to unmask]> with just YOUR NAME IN THE SUBJECT HEADING. Please
circulate this statement to any potentially interested people. Inquiries can be
directed to me at this email address.

Many thanks,

Deborah Cowen
Department of Geography & Program in Planning
University of Toronto
100 St. George St. Room 5047
Toronto, ON M5S 3G3
deb.cowen@utoronto

----------

In association with the 2005 Association of American Geographers annual
meeting, the AAG's military geography specialty group has organized a visit
to the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs.  Inclusion in this official
AAG fieldtrip is limited on the grounds of United States citizenship.
Non-US citizens are prohibited from participating in this AAG event.

This violates the AAG's 'Statement of Professional Ethics', endorsed by the
Council of the Association of American Geographers on October 18, 1998.
According to this statement:

"Discrimination is extraordinarily destructive. Geographers should
adhere to fair employment practices and ensure equal opportunity when
evaluating peers and other employees. They should not discriminate against
individuals or groups using criteria irrelevant to professional performance.
Such irrelevant criteria generally include (but are not limited to) age,
class, ethnicity, gender, marital status, nationality, politics, physical
disability, race, religion, or sexual orientation."

Despite the AAG's principled position on exclusion, many hundreds of AAG
members found themselves excluded from this official event. We recognize and
support the independence of specialty groups vis a vis the AAG central
office, but we do not support the right of specialty groups to discriminate
against AAG members in contravention of the AAG's own ethics policies.

As members of the AAG, we demand that the Association issue an apology to
its membership for sponsoring this discriminatory event as part of its
annual meeting. We further demand a commitment from the AAG that in the
future this organization will live up to its own ethics policies regarding
non-exclusion.

--

Lawrence D. Berg, D.Phil.
Canada Research Chair

Okanagan University College, Kalamalka Campus
7000 College Way, Vernon, B.C., Canada, V1B 2N5
Voice:  +1 250 545-7291 ext. 2264;  Fax: +1 250 545-3277
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
http://www.chrdi.org/ldb/index.htm
http://www.chairs.gc.ca/web/chairholders/viewprofile_e.asp?id=972

Editor: The Canadian Geographer/Le Géographe canadien
http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/cg

Co-Editor: ACME: An International E-Journal for Critical Geographies
http://www.acme-journal.org

Commissioning Editor: Praxis (e)Press
http://www.praxis-epress.org

Note new address as of 1 July 2005:
Irving K. Barber School of Arts and Sciences
University of British Columbia - Okanagan
3333 University Way
Kelowna, British Columbia,  Canada, V1V 1V7
Telephone: +(250) 762-5445
http://www.okanagan.ubc.ca