Hi Sarah

Perhaps "didn't understand your posting" might be more accurate.

But perhaps also the use of "keyword" as an element name in the
Classification section is the source of confusion.

My understanding of it was that the Classification:Keyword element was
where you put the terms selected from the taxonomy specified in the
TaxonPath. So perhaps "Classifier" or some such might have been a better
element name than "Keyword".

Putting my point in your terms, I was trying to suggest that maybe
(only) classification should be done in the Classification section and
keywording should be done using the General:Keyword element.

As to the different types of users, I was simply recalling some of the
discussions that took place when the original IMS Metadata spec was
being drawn up way back in '98-'99 as it helped resolve some of the
disputes that were taking place then (the content publishers who tacitly
assumed all metadata would be embedded in the content, and therefore
that there would be one definitive MD record per LO as created by them,
and keywords selected by them would suffice, vs cataloguers who tacitly
assumed all metadata was independent of the content, held in separate
catalogue/repository/index systems, and therefore that there could be
multiple records per LO, and support needed for proper classification
with taxonomies and their source). This seemed to have some echoes in
the discussion here and it maybe was part of the reason for it being
incompletely resolved in the original IMS MD and hence in IEEE LOM.

I am not sure that I agree with points 5 & 6 (if I understand them
correctly ;-). Having made the distinction between classification and
keywording, you then seem to suggest that it is up to whoever creating
the metadata to decide on which to use and how, depending on their
situation. But searchers have to know how an element is being used in
order to frame an effective query. It therefore seems, at a minimum,
that this is a question to be determined by a community of use rather
than by 'whoever', and if the community wants clarity on the semantics
and use (and hence interoperability) then that agreement is best set out
in an application profile, but it would be better still if it was clear
and unambiguous in the standard.

If, going the other way, you feel that a standard should be flexible and
allow different people to do things in different ways, it should still
set out the alternatives as MAYs where it doesn't set them as MUSTs or
SHOULDs. This approach then leaves it up to communities of use to fix on
their preferred approach in an application profile. But specs, standards
and application profiles are fundamentally about agreements on how we
work together and these then inevitably act as agreed constraints. Areas
that are left to the individual to decide (e.g. the text that goes into
a field) should have no impact on interoperability. But this seems to me
to be an area where the interpretation and use of elements will have an
impact on interoperability. So if LOM and the UK LOM Core are to allow
for all the options you give, then they need to be explicitly supported
in the spec/standard/ap, maybe by adding an optional 'VocabPath' element
under General 1.5:Keyword to support your option 4 (if, as you say,
there is a need for it), with examples showing how they are used.

If it's not clear in the LOM/UK LOM Core documentation how keywording
and classification are supported, then I think you have highlighted a
point of ambiguity, and hence of potential interoperability breakdown,
which should be clarified in a future release of LOM/UK LOM Core.

Cheers,

Bill