Learning activity Metadata was originally meant to be part of the scope for the Learning Design spec, but we soon realised that it would at least double the length of time/work involved in producing the spec, and whatever we put forward would be unlikely to get sufficient agreement from the IMS members for the whole spec to be approved - so we dropped it.

That still leaves a hole to be filled - whether by beach-loving folksonomists or by a more structured approach with broad(er) agreement. Actually the bottom-up/top-down approaches are complimentary. Especially when starting from scratch, people start inventing there own, usually partial, terminologies, and there is a process of merging and adjusting to gain a more comprehensive vocabulary and this is put forward for wider agreement which may result in specs and standards. These in turn get wider use which finds inadequacies, perhaps because the field is evolving, and the spec/standard needs to evolve to keep up (the LOM Education section, which should be its core, is a case in point where further development is needed).

Grainne's work is a great effort in bringing together a lot of emerging vocabularies (folksonomies) for describing learning activities. The next step, a hard one, is to provide some structure to the motley crew. They suggest three taxonomies, Context, Pedagogical Approach, and Task, as a basic way of organising them, and each has further subdivisions. They themselves are not satisfied with the structures and have invited comment. Agree or not, it is very useful to have it as a starting point for discussion. With an LD hat on it would be possible to include these in an LD Unit of Learning by using them as taxonomies in the LOM Classification section, as LOM, as in Content Packaging/SCORM, can be included at multiple points in LD.

There is a parallel effort going on in the JISC eLearning and Pedagogy Programme which Helen Beetham is concerned with.

There is also interesting work, now with a fair bit of practice based on it, at the University of Liege called 8 LEM (the 8 Learning Events Model) which proposes 8 Learner/Teacher engagements/activities which they feel is simple and (hope) is comprehensive in its coverage. They specifically wanted to keep it simple so that it could be easily learned and applied by teachers, so the underlying motive is similar to both of the last two, namely to suggest enhancements to practice where many teachers may typically be using only a subset. For more, see
http://www.unfold-project.net:8085/UNFOLD/providers_folder/providers_resources/LEM/
At the foot of the page there's a short 8LEM Overview doc and a .ppt for downloading.

Last November, I attempted a simple mapping of Grainne's Task/Task Description/Type into the 8 LEM Structure (attached if anyone is interested). This was based on a version of Grainne's work dated July 2004, so it is probably getting dated by now.

But, especially with the Southampton/Dundee/Intrallect Learning Activity Design Reference Model project as a potential focus, it's good time to open a full discussion between those who are expert on the pedagogy side and those who are expert in Classification/taxonomy construction to see if we can move this area forward.

Bill

Lorna Campbell wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">Hi there,

Very quick comment.....I think this discussion is very important and very timely.  I also think a joint Metadata SIG Meeting and Pedagogy Forum meeting would be an excellent place to start exploring some of the issues Sarah lists below in more depth.

Those of you who were at the EC SIG / Pedagogy Forum meeting on Friday would have heard Helen Beetham stressing our need for vocabularies to describe pedagogy and practice.   Helen and I have a phone meeting on Monday to discuss whether there is anything CETIS can do to help the Pedagogy Programme make some progress in researching and developing such vocabularies.  One development that  is likely to be of relevance here is the work of the Dialogue Plus project which Grianne presented briefly on Friday.

We'll keep you posted if we make any progress!

All the best
Lorna