-----Original Message-----
From: Accident and Emergency Academic List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Adrian Fogarty
Sent: 31 March 2005 14:16
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: chest drains

Indeed, as the ribs course obliquely downwards, so a horizontal line drawn
backwards from the nipple level (5th rib) ends up crossing the 6th, 7th or
even 8th rib as you go further back!

"Dunn Matthew Dr. (RJC) A & E - SwarkHosp-TR" <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> I'm sure that when I last checked the nipple/mammary line was
> at the level
> of the fourth intercostal space or fifth rib, but as with
> these things,
> opinions can vary !-)

Check again. A line drawn from the nipple is often at about the level of the
7th or 8th interspace just anterior to the mid axillary line. I've seen
chest drains put in at both levels, but in general the 5th interspace is
safer, more cosmetically pleasing and (anecdotally) more comfortable for the
patient.

Matt Dunn

This email has been scanned for viruses by NAI AVD however we are unable to
accept responsibility for any damage caused by the contents.
The opinions expressed in this email represent the views of the sender, not
South Warwickshire General Hospitals NHS Trust unless explicitly stated.
If you have received this ema! il in error please notify the sender.
The information contained in this email may be subject to public disclosure
under the NHS Code of Openness or the Freedom of Information Act 2000.
Unless the information is legally exempt from disclosure, the
confidentiality of this e-mail and your reply cannot be guaranteed.