Mikael Karlberg published a set of papers, combined in 1995 into a PhD
thesis called The neck and human balance: a clinical and experimental
approach to cervical vertigo.(university hospital of Lund)

One hypotheses advanced is that sensory mismatch (between proprioceptors
and balance organs) has the potential to produce dizziness (in the same
way that it produced if the two balance organs have unequal function).
Central to this hypotheses, from my understanding is the role of the
muscle spindle, which are densely represented in cervical musculature.
the two sets of sensory info come together anotomically inthe high
cervical cord and I think from memory are usually equal and opposite -
and so in normal circumstances cancel each other out essentially.

From my own clinical experience (and work on a current doctoral thesis
on balance after Traumatic Brain Injury), there is a subpopulation who
experience dizziness, where other causes have been ruled out and who
experience resolution of symptoms by treating postural asymmetries and
factors that are resulting in 'hypertonic', for want of a better word,
cervical musculature.  subjectively, these people, when asked for
accurate description of their dizziness experience rarely report classic
rotational dizziness, but other forms of lightheadedness, environmental
disorientation, rocking sensations, sensations of pulling and the like.

I find it all very facinating!

In message <[log in to unmask]>, John
Willenbruch <[log in to unmask]> writes

--