Hello Physios,

Just a quick question regarding C spine accessory mob assessment and dizziness.

Me and a colleague were discussing what we felt was the cause of dizziness when a patient suffered symptoms of dizziness/vertigo when a PA force was applied to the upper C spine, and following from that what was the best course of treatment.  It was felt that dizziness provoked during PA mobilisation implied that either:

A) the dizziness was due to joint interaction and therefore accessory mobilisation was a valid method of treatment for this patient whether it be to treat the dizziness or pain from the upper cervical spine.

or

B) there was a POSSIBILITY that compression of the vertebro basilar artery was occuring during the mobilisation and this could be the cause of the symptoms, therefore accessory mobilisation would be contraindicated at the grade/position which produces these symptoms.

Any thoughts on this????  I would love there to be some research on this but would imagine it would be tough to do with ethical approval.

Thanks in advance,

John