Dear Phil and others,

Thank you very much for bringing the article by Xabier Docampo to our
attention.

I believe that the manner in which Xabier Docampo has been treated by shop
assistants, receptionists, and others is absolutely awful and shows a lack
of respect for him as an individual.

As for the supposed 'imposicion do galego' here in Galicia, I do not think
that the government here 'imposes' it on the citizens in any way.  I have
found that it is more common for 'funcionarios' to speak in Castilian
rather in Galician in government buildings, post offices, state-sponsored
language schools, universities, and various other places.  If anything, as
you point out, it is the other way around!  On some occasions, these state
employees switch to Galician, but only after the Galician speaker
continues speaking in Galician to them. On other occasions, they do not
switch either because they feel that they cannot speak Galician (I often
hear this excuse) or they do not want to do so.   Despite the fact that
the in the science department of a Galician uni where I work, most
employees should, by decree, speak Galician or offer exams in Galician,
they do not.  Unfortunately, I believe that this has much to do with the
fact that as scientists, they deem Galician less important than Castilian
or English.  It is a sad fact, but it is the reality here.  In order for
it to change, the government actually needs to do much more to promote the
use of the Galician language and to show respect for those who speak it
rather than marginalise them.

In some ways I believe that you are right about winning the argument. But,
there is a long way to go.

Kerry