Surveillance & Society | ISSN 1477-7487
The international journal of surveillance studies
http://www.surveillance-and-society.org

CALLS FOR PAPERS 2005

1. Surveillance and Violent Conflict

2. Doing Surveillance Studies

1. Surveillance and Violent Conflict

Edited by Eric Toepfer, David Wood and Stephen Graham

Issue 3(2/3) Publication date: September 2005

Deadline for submissions: May 1st 2005

Call:

Though the military aspects of surveillance are seen as "singularly
important" (Lyon 1994: 28), they are rarely examined in detail within
surveillance studies. Reconnaissance is treated as surveillance in
camouflage and thus remains almost unnoticed. Studies of military
surveillance exist within International Relations and studies of warfare
and espionage, however these remain disconnected from studies of
surveillance across other disciplines. However, methods and technologies
developed for military purposes are deeply embedded in contemporary
"civil surveillance societies", as, for instance, cornerstones of the
digital universe of geographic information, CCD chips in modern CCTV
cameras, or C3I centres as next generation of police control rooms. In
an effort to raise attention to both the specific and broader military
dimensions of surveillance, the Editors are calling for papers on the
theme of "Surveillance and Violent Conflict".

Contributions are therefore welcomed on all aspects of surveillance in
the context of international and sub-state organised violence. As usual,
we also encourage non-academic forms of submission including fiction,
poetry, photography, film and video, and multimedia.

Topics could include:

- Military surveillance, reconnaissance and espionage;

- Surveillance and "new wars", counter-insurgency, anti-terrorism and
paramilitary public order policing;

- The military-industrial complex and the techno-structures of
contemporary surveillance societies;

... and more on historical, contemporary and future contexts of
surveillance and violent conflict.

Further enquiries and submissions to either Eric Toepfer
([log in to unmask]) or David Wood ([log in to unmask])
following our Submission Guidelines.

2. Doing Surveillance Studies

Edited by Kirstie Ball and Kevin Haggerty

Issue 3(4): Publication date: December 2005

Deadline for submissions: August 1st 2005

Call:

Surveillance and society Volume 3(4) will be focusing on the question of
how we, as scholars, 'do' surveillance studies. The field of
surveillance studies is still in its infancy, but contributors from the
range of social science, humanities, liberal arts and even some of the
engineering sciences. Addressing methodological questions concerning the
unit of analysis, appropriate epistemological approaches, and the
overall validity of what we produce will determine the legitimacy and
communicability of our work for the future.

Specific issues concern (among others):

* Spatial concepts and variables: their operationalisation, capture,
representation and analysis.
* Temporal concepts and variables: how researchers can represent social
process and action whilst using a time-honoured set of tools which, by
necessity 'freeze' what is being observed.
* Epistemological issues concerning our treatment of action, structure,
virtuality, identity, boundaries of the self, being and becoming
* Research design and surveillance studies
* The strengths and weaknesses of our own disciplinary boundaries
* The nature of interdisciplinarity within surveillance studies
* Whether there will ever be a surveillance studies research 'norm'
(excluding existing debates about whether everything starts with the
Panopticon)
* The application of particular analytical techniques and their
suitability for scenarios where we see surveillance-in-action.
* Reflexive accounts of surveillance scholars.
* The role of provocation in surveillance studies.

This list is not exhaustive, but it does cover some of the main issues
faced by scholars in the field. Kindly submit papers to Kirstie Ball
([log in to unmask]) by August 1st, following our Submission
Guidelines.

Dr David Wood

Managing Editor
Surveillance & Society