With apologies for cross-posting:

Please note we will be running this course again in York on the
7 July, details available at: http://www.archive-skills.com/training/2005/7-7.php

DESCRIPTION TRAINING DAY

Date: Thursday, 21 April 2005

Venue: The CREATE Centre, Smeaton Road, Bristol BS1 6XN

Cost: £129.25 per participant (incl. VAT at 17.5%)

This course is intended as a more detailed follow-up to the
Introduction to description offered in the Basic Archive Skills
Introductory Course. It is aimed at people processing and describing
archives who wish to gain more practical training as well as those
managing archives who are about to embark on new processing and
description projects. The day begins with an overview of processing
and finding aids and continues with more focused sessions on archival
description using current standards, retrospective conversion and
networking finding aids. There will be workshop sessions on
arrangement techniques and implementing description standards.

The course fee of £129.25 (incl. VAT) includes a course handbook with
supporting notes and useful sources for further information. The price
also includes lunch (with vegetarian option; please let the directors
know if you have any other special dietary needs) and tea and coffee.

        PROGRAMME
9.00-9.30       Registration and coffee
9.30-10.00      Introduction & Overview of the Day (Janet Foster)
10.00-11.00     Finding Aids: an overview of archival processing
(Margaret Crockett)
11.00-11.15     Coffee
11.15-12.15     Using Description Standards (Gillian Sheldrick,
English Heritage/National Monument Record)
12.15-12.45     Networking Descriptions: current trends and future opportunities
(Janet Foster)
12.45-1.00      Discussion
1.00-2.00       Lunch
2.00-3.15       Workshop Session 1
3.15-3.30       Tea
3.30-4.45       Workshop Session 2
4.45-5.00       Discussion and Closing remarks

APPLICATION FORM or register online at: http://www.archive-skills.com/training/2005/21-4appl.php

Send to: TASC, May Cottage, Fountayne Road, London N16 7EB or email to: [log in to unmask]

Full name       Employer
Position        Address
Telephone
Fax
Email
•       I enclose a cheque for £129.25 payable to the Archive-Skills consultancy (TASC)
•       Please send me a receipt
•       Please invoice my employer
•       All invoices will be sent as email attachments. If you require hard copy, please tick this box

DescDay1/4.05

--
Margaret Crockett
Director, the Archive-Skills Consultancy