John Dillon wrote:
Your second definition of "secular" is at odds with what I perceive to
be common understandings of that term.  These are exemplified by
definitions 1 and 2 of the _Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary_'s entry
for this word:

1 a : of or relating to the worldly or temporal <secular concerns> b :
not overtly or specifically religious <secular music> c : not
ecclesiastical or clerical <secular courts> <secular landowners>
2 : not bound by monastic vows or rules; specifically : of, relating
to, or forming clergy not belonging to a religious order or
congregation <a secular priest>

Dear friends, even though I missed the beginning of this thread, I may
mention that there actually is a meaning of 'secular' as remote (i.e.
alienated) from relgious, specificallay Christian consciounsness. It would
be safer to use the term 'secularized', though. However, by definition that
can not occur in the Middle Ages, as secularization is a phenomenon of
Enlightenment, or more generally of modernity, meaning the transfer of
Church property into secular possession, but also the stripping of
originally Christian terms, concepts and modes of thought of their
religious/theological meaning.
Hope that helps
Richard Blum

Schützen Sie Ihren Posteingang vor unerwünschten E-Mails.
http://www.msn.de/antispam/prevention/junkmailfilter Schluß mit Spam - MSN
hilft Ihnen hier weiter.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]