John thanks for you're reply and I am still hoping to
incite a broader discussion. I think you're repsonse
with the dictionary entry gets at the heart of the
point.

What was secular in/for the Middle Ages and how is the
term used in modern scholarship on the Middle Ages?

 Certainly the answer to both of those questions is
far removed from any straight-foward modern definition
of the word and that was the issue I was getting at.
The fact that yours was the only response to some
rather outrageous claims is indicative of either
indifference or a status quo with regards to notions
of secular and relgious --perhaps even a feeling that
these things separated out in the M.A. the same way
they do today --     which they don't, of course.
You're comments were very helpful though and make
clear that an answer to the first two questions in
this post would have to preceed any further discussion
of it. Thanks again!

Other comments welcome as well.

Look for this post to appear again in about a year!
:,)