From: Lena Wahlgren-Smith <[log in to unmask]>

> "What about the Norwegian name Audun?

> Respondeo:
>
> There is an Old Icelandic character called Aušun, who had a polar bear. His
name is quite different from Old Icelandic Óšin. I would think there is no
relation.

no.

Aušun is in Burgundy, where polar bears are very rarely seen, even in the
12th c.

> It is just a transcription thing, committed by a Swedish scribe, to whom
this name would be foreign

puts me in mind of the name "Gollinus", common in the Chartrain in the
11th-12th cc.

there is no such name, as best i can make out.

but, in the original documents the first "s" of "Goslinus" is written with the
non-final "s" form (what is that called, technically?) which looks a lot like
an "f" without the cross member, or an "l".

careless early modren copists frequently read "Goslenus" as "Gollinus", and
this error also finds its way into publications.

but, as far as i know, "Gollinus" was not a name.

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but
they've always worked for me."

    -- Hunter S. Thompson

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]