"What about the Norwegian name Audun? I have just seen in the index to the Vadstena diary that its Latin form is Odhinus. Could it be... or is it totally unrelated?

Respondeo:

There is an Old Icelandic character called Aušun, who had a polar bear. His name is quite different from Old Icelandic Óšin. I would think there is no relation.

Bill."

Of course you are right, Bill. It is just a transcription thing, committed by a Swedish scribe, to whom this name would be foreign, anyway (I don't think there are any Auduns in Sweden, particularly).

I remember the polar bear story now. He took it abroad, didn't he and made pots of money out of it? Probably well-earned... I wouldn't want to be cooped up on a small Viking ship with a polar bear, having seen too many David Attenborough films.

Lena