Otherwise (and so sorry not to agree with you on this point), I am not sure that the "name" Abelard (either "surname" or "nickname") is from Breton (Celtic) origin and should be "etymologized" as *(M)ap-Elar(d) (i.e. Elard's son) : Abelard as a surname was very common in Maine, Anjou, Poitou (see for example the results found within the "Centre Généalogique du Maine-et-Loire", by clicking the following link : http://cgw49.free.fr/patronymes.php?p=Abbelard,%20Abbellard,%20Abeilard,%20Abelard,%20Abellard,%20Abeslard,%20Habellard).

Thank you VERY much for this reference - I will follow it up.

Brenda.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]