"Ms Brenda M. Cook" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Father Bill wrote:
let me add that the most interesting name I know is Astralabe, which attaches itself to the son of Heloise and Abelard. This was not (so far as I know) the name of a Paris football team, but an anagram. That is to say, "Astralabius, puer Dei" as he would have been called at the Christening, is an anagram of "Petrus Abaelardus II"

Yes, and I think you are spot on, Father Bill, and I have said so elsewhere, but, as I was challenged by a sceptic, where on earth did the "Puer Dei" come from ?  Why on earth might Heloise feel constrained to emphasise her boy was a Child of God ?

Respondeo:

I dare say you are along the right lines. I hadn't given the matter a great deal of thought, merely observing that, according to Christian theology, every Christian is a child of God, and becomes so at his or her baptism.

The idea is such a commonplace in the New Testament and in Christian liturgy and theology that I didn't, when I first noticed the anagram, take the trouble to spell it out.

Being more aware, as I now am, of the extent to which the New Testament, Christian theology and liturgy are largely unknown to most modern minds (even academic ones), if I were writing the article now it would be at much greater length and spell out the idea of Christians as children of God. I would probably start with John 1:12, "quotquot autem receperunt eum dedit eis potestatem filios Dei fieri" and relegate to a footnote a score of other texts making the same point. I would probably take the trouble to consult a twelfth-century baptismal liturgy and see if the phrase 'puer Dei' occurs in it; the equivalent certainly occurs often enough in modern liturgies. Stan Metheny can probably supply a happy phrase.

My original article, a mere three lines, appeared in Notes and Queries for September 1995. If anyone would like to write a commentary on it, bringing in all the footnotes, then please feel free to have a Ph.D. on me.

Bill.

ALL-NEW Yahoo! Messenger - all new features - even more fun! ********************************************************************** To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME to: [log in to unmask] To send a message to the list, address it to: [log in to unmask] To leave the list, send the message: leave medieval-religion to: [log in to unmask] In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to: [log in to unmask] For further information, visit our web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html