Gilbert of Sempringham (d. 1189) Gilbert was an Englishman (Norman)
of knightly family. . The Gilbertines were the only English-founded
religious order of the Middle Ages, eventually growing to 26
communities. G. was canonized in 1202.

One of Gilbert's foundations was St Leonard's, Malton, only a few miles from my own abode. Some years ago this was given back to the Catholic Church by the Church of England and now serves as the Catholic parish church of Malton; one of very few medieval churches owned by the Catholic Church in England. Unfortunately it has been re-ordered in a manner quite out of keeping with the medieval building.

Bill.

ALL-NEW Yahoo! Messenger - all new features - even more fun! ********************************************************************** To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME to: [log in to unmask] To send a message to the list, address it to: [log in to unmask] To leave the list, send the message: leave medieval-religion to: [log in to unmask] In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to: [log in to unmask] For further information, visit our web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html