Phyllis Jestice wrote:

> Today (22. February) is the feast day of:
>
> The Chair of St. Peter.

In the Sarum calendar, a simple feast with triple Invitatory.  (That's two
rulers.)

As has already been pointed out, this is the feast of the Chair of St Peter
at Antioch.  The feast of the Chair of St Peter at Rome (18 January in the
Tridentine Roman Calendar, and listed as a "Double major" in the Liber
Usualis) does not occur in the Sarum Calendar.  (It is suggested that the 18
January was a Frankish feast of the sixth or seventh centuries which later
spread to Rome, duplicating that of 22 February, causing the latter to be
re-designated as marking Peter's consecration as bishop of Antioch - by
whom, would be an interesting question.)

(Strictly speaking, a chair, whether at Antioch or even Rome, isn't a saint.
Although I suppose if you can have a "St Cross", you can have a "St Chair".)

John Briggs

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]