Bill East wrote:
> Phyllis Jestice wrote:
>
>> I don't know why kids don't get cool names like "Tyrannio" any more.
>
> They're too busy getting names like Kylie or Chelsea.
>
> Q. Why Chelsea? Nobody ever called his daughter Arsenal or West
> Bromwich Albion. Unless you know otherwise.

Chelsea Clinton is named after a popular song - allegedly "Chelsea Morning"
by Joni Mitchell, although I do wonder about Leonard Cohen's "Chelsea
Hotel".  Both songs relate to an area of New York City, rather than football
teams :-)

The double-diminutive form of Dionisia was Dyot or Diot.  Perhaps
inevitably, a medieval Englishwoman has been found in the records with the
name Diot Coke :-)
--
John Briggs

to: [log in to unmask]