There's an old argument about the Dominican system of provincial &
general chapters influencing ideas of representative government.  See,
for example:

The Dominican order and convocation;
a study of the growth of representation in the church during the
thirteenth century,
rnest Barker, Sir
1913
English  Book 83, [1] p. 24 cm.
Oxford, Clarendon press,

The constitution of the Dominican order, 1216 to 1360,
Georgina Rosalie (Cole-Baker) Galbraith, Mrs.
1925
English  Book xvi, 286 p. double facsims. 24 cm.
Manchester, London, New York, etc., The University Prsss; Longmans,
Green & Co.,

Tom Izbicki

Thomas Izbicki
Collection Development Coordinator
Eisenhower Library
Johns Hopkins
Baltimore, MD 21218
(410)516-7173
fax (410)516-8399

>>> [log in to unmask] 02/04/05 6:54 AM >>>
medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and
culture

Dear all,
A friend and colleague who is an economist has asked me for references
about
the organization of the medieval church, particularly the development
of
what he wonders are early hints of "democratic procedures". I include
his
query to me below, and ask that you might help me with appropriate
recommendations to him as to what to read.
Many thanks
Cecilia

"I'm looking for information on the organization of the medieval
church,
especially the religious orders. I've seen hints that they pioneered
democratic procedures (majority voting, rules of order, etc). Also the
Cluny
reforms seem to have established a system of tighter administrative
control
over individual houses that may have been a model for later secular
administrations. Any suggestions?"

M.C.Gaposchkin, Ph.D.
History, Dartmouth College

to: [log in to unmask]