R. A. Markus, _Gregory the Great and his World_ (Cambridge U. P.,
1997), devotes an appendix (pp. 206-09) and a map (pp. xx-xxi) to the
distribution of Gregory's correspondence.  The bulk of these, not
surprisingly, are to imperially controlled areas of today's Italy: 500
(out of a total of 970 letters) to Italia suburbicaria, 70 to Ravenna,
25 to Milanese clergy in exile in Byzantine Liguria.  There are also 95
to Gaul and 75 to Constantinople, plus smaller groups of 45 or fewer to
many other destinations in the empire and 5 to Britain.

So, in a general sense, they do seem to have gotten by.  Not so,
however, with Gregory's letter to the emperor Maurice asking for the
withholding of imperial confirmation of his election, as this seems not
to have been delivered.  That letter, because it involved business of
the state, would presumably have travelled by imperial messenger
utilizing whatever remained of the _cursus publicus_ at this point.
But our source for the letter's existence and content (Gregory of
Tours, _Historia Francorum_ 10.1, followed by later Lives of Gregory
the Great) says that the city prefect of Rome intercepted it and
replaced it with one announcing the popular consensus.  In Gregory of
Tours' account, the city prefect is specified as _Germanus_; whereas
this may have been transmitted (as now edited) with a capital 'G' and
was interpreted by Paul the Deacon and others after him as the proper
name Germanus, J. R. Martindale notes in _The Prosopography of the
Later Roman Empire_, vol. IIIA, p. 530, that the original reading may
have been lower-case _germanus_, alluding to Gregory's brother
Palatinus (who, rather than this otherwise unattested Germanus, would
then have been the city prefect at the time).

Best,
John Dillon

On Wednesday, February 23, 2005, at 1:41 am, Bill East wrote,
responding to Wendy Reardon:

> I have always wondered how anything got done back then...they had
> to go by horse or ship, and Gregory sent a letter from Rome to
> Byzantium...it's a miracle it got there at all. They never cease
> to amaze me.
>

> Respondeo:
>
> I don't know about that. Horses have seldom been known to crash,
> and many ships have been known to float. I dare say they got by.
>
> Bill.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]