Doctissimi,

I know this is a long shot, but I thought I'd pick your brains... I saw an
old (don't know how old) Russian icon last night. I couldn't identify the
saint and hope a description of the image will jog someone's memory of a
Passio, leading to an identification of the saint. First, the saint is a
bishop or major cleric, judging from his garb. He occupies the right side of
the image and is depicted full length. He is holding a closed book with some
sort of oval image in the center of the cover, perhaps Mary. Up in the left
corner, God is extending a crown and palm, so I assume, perhaps incorrectly,
that he is a martyr. In the lower left is a strange scene. The saint is
seated with only his upper torso showing. There are people around him who
seem to be gathering water in jugs as he sits impassive and seemingly
unconcerned with their activities. It does not seem to be a scene of
martyrdom, but must have something to do with his holiness or an event of
his life. He seems to be seated at the river from which they gather water as
if the river were a table, a scene difficult to describe and more difficult
to imagine. The people are not paying any attention to him, i.e. not pouring
water on him or throwing their jugs at him.
Any suggestions about the identity of this saint would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
MG

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]