On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 15:24 +0000, Steve Traylen wrote:

> > > So it skips head node and gridftp servers second layer (in the tier1
> > > architecture) as explained by Andrew few mails ago?
> >
> > The process is as follows,
> >
> > {A} Client contacts server and asks where to put the data
> > {B} Client Receive a "Transfer" URL which is where to place the data
> > {C} Client uploads the data to URL.
>
> Though in the case of SRM copy method is it?
>
>  {A} Client contacts 1st SRM and asks it to transfer file to another 2nd SRM
>  {B} 1st SRM asks 2nd SRM where to put the file.
>  {C} 1st SRM tells backend dcache nodes to put the file where the 2nd SRM
>      told it to put it.
>
>  Steve

I think so, although other variations are possible.

push or pull mode essentially, in general it does not matter and both
should be supported if you listed to anyone but Peter K. who does not
think SRM third party copies are a good thing. (dependency graphs etc
but I suspect politics.) I don't think SRM 3rd Party copy is required
functionality, but I could easily be up to date.

Regards

Owen