-----Original Message-----
From: Tectonics & structural geology discussion list
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Rob Butler
Sent: 02 February 2005 12:39
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Radiometric dating of shear zone fabrics

Eldridge and others
There are some brief notes and references to the work we did here in
Leeds, dating shear zones, chiefly in the Alps, using Rb-Sr ages on
white mica in calc-schists. Almost all the work in the publications
listed was done by Steve Freeman. Personally I quite like the method
because the dates apply directly to minerals that form the deformation
foliations (provided the calcite and mica are recrystallising during the
deformation and this this went on significantly below closure) - so it's
easier (although not with potential pitfalls) to relate the geochron to
the deformation. The website is:
http://earth.leeds.ac.uk/tectonics/alpine_tectonics/metamorphic/dating/
htm.

Hope this rather dated dating is of interest
Rob