A nice paper is:

Science 2000, vol 288, pp. 2195-2198

    Isotopic Dating of Strain Fringe Increments: Duration and Rates of
    Deformation in Shear Zones

Wolfgang Müller, 1* Domingo Aerden, 2 Alex N. Halliday 1

The time scales over which deformation in the Earth's crust remains
localized in shear zones are poorly known, as are the associated strain
rates. We have determined the longevity and rates of deformation using
rubidium-strontium (Rb-Sr) microsampling dating of increments of fibrous
strain fringes from a Pyrenean shear zone. The fibers grew
quasi-continuously through a protracted deformation history between
87 and 50 million years ago, over a period comparable to that of an
orogeny. During a short interval between 66 and 62 million years, a rise
in strain rate from 1.1 × 10-15 to 7.7 × 10-15 seconds-1 occurred. This
acceleration correlates with an abrupt change in fiber-growth direction
and a stress-field inversion from gravitational collapse to renewed
horizontal crustal shortening.

Giulio

JISCmail list wrote:

> Dear Colleagues:
>
> I am interested in general references on the recent advances in
> radiometric dating of various minerals in shear zone fabrics.  Does
> anyone know of any such references?  I would greatly appreciate any
> ideas that you might have.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Eldridge
> --
> Distinguished Professor of Emeritus of Geology
> Vice President, International Union of Geological Sciences
> Department of Geology, University of California
> One Shields Avenue
> Davis, CA 95616
>
> Tel: 530-752-0352
> Fax: 530-752-0951
>
> "Civilization exists by geologic consent, subject to change without
> notice"
> "Civilization is an interval between ice ages"
>                                 (Will Durant)

Giulio Di Toro
c/o Universita' di Padova
Dipartimento di Geologia, Paleontologia e Geofisica
Via Giotto 1
35137 Padova, Italy
tel ++39 049 8273941
fax ++39 049 8272070