Hi Scot, Eldridge and friends,
We have been working for long in the MCTZ zone in Himalayas. I too have observed these garnets in the Sikkim, Himachal, Uttaranchal and Arunachal Himalayas (See EJ Catlos et. al 2004 Sikkim paper JMG.). The older garnets give monazite ages varying from 14-10 MA however we were not able to find monazites in the core/rim of younger garnets explained by you(scot) in Sikkim. But our samples in Uttaranchal and Himachal where Si=Se in younger garnets we dated monazites near matrix and ages are 4-3 Ma at place where Munsiari and chail meet/cut each other suggesting that Munsiari/MCT-II is a active out of sequence thrust. I am trying to make these relations in my new work. If your definition of younger garnet holds good we can date foliations by matrix monazite even if monazite is not armoured by garnet. Is it true.
Best wishes to you all.
Dr.C.S.Dubey
Department of Geology
Delhi University