Gwyn Weatherburn, forwarding a message from John Garrow, wrote:

> [...]

The adjective 'inimitable' is intended as a compliment! The publication
of 'Treat Obesity Seriously' was a landmark. For the record, I admire
the way in which Garrow used simple, easily-memorable cutpoints for the
BMI categories.  There has been a lot of debate as to whether they can
be improved upon, but what is undeniable is that they got people
thinking along the right lines. The book, indeed, achieved what its
title advocated, and the simplicity of the classification of BMI was a
major help.

When I say that the cutpoints were 'pulled out of his head', they were a
judgement call on the available data, but time has proved their
usefulness amply. Sophisticated statistical models have offered no
significant improvement that would justify making the system more
cumbersome.

My sincere apologies to Dr Garrow - my admiration for the soundness of
his judgement made it sound like he made it all up. This certainly
wasn't the case.

> I would be happy to write a piece about the history of BMI and obesity
> if anyone want to know about it, but briefly the background is this.

And I think a lot of people would indeed be interested. The research is
'out there' in the literature, but the politics (national and
professional) would make fascinating reading.

--

Ronan M Conroy ([log in to unmask])
Senior Lecturer in Biostatistics

they are addressed.
originator of the message. This footer also confirms that this
email message has been scanned for the presence of computer viruses.

states them to be the views of The Royal College Of Surgeons in Ireland.