From: "Ann Apps" <[log in to unmask]>
> The way of encoding these MODS terms is different from, and not
> really consistent with, DC practice to date. They have to include
> nested elements, eg:
>
> <mods:location>
>   <mods:url>http://example.org/myurl</mods:url>
> <mods:location>

 Hi Ann,

I'm not really up-to-date with dc so I don't know what  dc practice you're
referring to, but it you want to be able to use
<mods:url>http://example.org/myurl</mods:url>
without wrapping it in <mods:location>, there's an easy way.

The mads schema has the same problem, so we've created a "mods-for-mads"
schema. It's totally compatible with the current mods (they produce
identical instance sets) but a number of new data types have been created
(url one of them) so that they can be directly referenced.

Take a look at
http://www.loc.gov/standards/mads/mads-preliminary-draft-2-dec-17.xsd

It references mods url as:
<xsd:element name="url" type="mods:urlType" .....

And look at
http://www.loc.gov/standards/mads/mods-for-mads.xsd

It declares element <url> within <location> as
<xsd:element name="url" type="urlType" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"
/>
and creates a new definition urlType.

So you could reference it as mods:url,   You'd just need to change the
schema location:
<xsd:import namespace="http://www.loc.gov/mods/v3"
schemaLocation="http://www.loc.gov/standards/mads/mods-for-mads.xsd" />

Mads is still a draft.  Our intention is to issue a new mods version (3.1)
that includes these definitions, sometime after (or when) we release the
first version of mads.

We would be happy to include any other similar definitions in mods 3.1, if
it makes sense to. (It was once suggested that we should treat every mods
subelement in this fashion.  I'm fairly sure we don't want to do that,
because (1) it doesn't make sense in every case, and (2) it would create a
much-less-readable schema.)  For example, edition and dateCaptured of
originInfo.  If you'd like I'll change mods-for-mads so that these can be
referenced (even though mads doesn't reference them currently) or any
others.

--Ray