>...LP should be done, who does it - Emergency Department staff or the
>medics?

--> Medics, unless I have an ED SHO who wants to do it for educational
purposes, in which case we still call the Medical Registrar (or experienced
Medical SHO), hand the case over to them as per usual and "offer" to have
our SHO "do it for them" so long as they supervise and critique...

>If you do it yourselves do you make use of an Observation area to wait
>until 12 hours after onset - if the patient presented earlier?

--> I may well still allow the patient to end up in Obs (for the medics to
do the LP) if he/she looks well enough to be a likely rapid discharge should
the LP be negative (which is often). Although the use of an Obs ward bed is
controlled by ED consultants, we allow some medical patienst there, so long
as we are satisfied that they will likely be heading home early enough.
Furthermore, we will very often end up discharging these medical patients if
we happen by and the patient is fit for discharge and they have not pitched
up yet. Obs ward nursing staff is ours and they know what we're likely to
send home. All medical consultants accept our right to do this. Hence,
sometimes such ?SAH patients are seen by ED, scanned by ED, turfed to medics
to do LP in obs ward, then discharged by ED when results return without
bothering to call medics to do it.

Personally, I can't stand doing LPs. Yuch!