Thanks for that- yes, that's the book which is central-I need though to make it more 'academic' and put it it context with any historical and archaeological material- ask more questions and develop their ideas. Thanks again. Paul
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Mary LaBarge
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Sunday, January 09, 2005 1:32 AM
  Subject: Re: Dissertation

  Dear Paul:

  An interesting book you may want to take a look at is the following:

  Brenneman, Walter and Mary Brenneman.  Crossing the Circle at the Holy Wells of Ireland.  Charlottesville, Virginia:  University Press of Virginia, 1995.

  These folks look at the wells from a sort of folkloric perspective.  Although their book is a bit academic, I enjoy rereading it now and then.  They try to analyze individual wells along the lines of broad patterns of "Cosmic Symbolism" - I won't define that, but leave it to you.  For example they look at fertility symbols, the goddess figure, the tree motif, etc.

  Hope this helps a tiny bit.

  Mary LaBarge