Malcolm and others,

On 2005 Jan 26 , at 14.59, Malcolm J. Currie wrote:

> configure.ac:22:
> /home/rlsul0/cvsbuild/nightly-build/build/build-root/buildsupport/bin/
> m4: ERROR: Reading inserted file: No such file or directory
> autom4te:
> /home/rlsul0/cvsbuild/nightly-build/build/build-root/buildsupport/bin/
> m4 failed with exit status: 1

This has puzzled me, and I've spent a good part of today trying to work
out what is going on here.  I _think_ that m4 was not building properly
because of a timestamps problem in the sources, which I think I've
fixed (though it could have been Peter's adjustments to libtool
yesterday which did the magic).

At any rate, m4, automake, autoconf and libtool now appear  to build
successfully on both rlsul0 and rlsaxp0, and bootstrap-buildsupport
builds successfully on rlsul0.

Unfortunately starconf won't build on Tru64, because the blasted
configure script chooses /bin/ksh in preference to /bin/sh for some
arcane reason involving inadequate support for $LINENO (like I care!),
and install-manifest can't work under ksh as written.  But that's odd,
too, since Tru64 make is documented to use /bin/sh always, so what
the...?  Or....

More tomorrow, I suppose.

Norman

Norman Gray  :  Physics & Astronomy, Glasgow University, UK
http://www.astro.gla.ac.uk/users/norman/  :  www.starlink.ac.uk