Malcolm,

On 2005 Jan 19 , at 16.35, Malcolm J. Currie wrote:

>> Define docprefix (not public) to be $prefix/share/doc if $prefix
>> contains '/star/', or $prefix/share/starlink/doc if $prefix doesn't
>> contain '/star/' (that is, if it's /usr/local or /opt or something).
>
> What about /stardev?

True enough.  I think the pattern would probably be '^/star', though
perhaps '^.*/star' would do better, in case someone chose to install it
in /opt/starlink, say.

>> If it were desirable to have all the SUNs in one place, then it would
>> I'm sure be possible to fiddle it, and have links to per-component
>> SUNs
>> gathered together in one directory.
>
> It's historic having both the documentation in both a collection and in
> per software item.  People are more familiar looking at /star/docs (and
> the VMS logical equivalent before it).  It may just be a matter of
> education and using "grep -r" or findme to find text across all the
> documents.

If htx has to be modified anyway, then I'm sure I could make it add
those symlinks.

> Does this proposal affect the incorporation of additional image files
> in
> to the .htx directory, as needed for SUN/95?

No, it would be orthogonal.  Is that still open?  My note to myself
says `Malcolm says this does indeed do the trick', though I'm afraid
I've forgotten just what `this' was.  If I recall, it was just listing
any extra files in the stardocs_DATA variable.

Norman

Norman Gray  :  Physics & Astronomy, Glasgow University, UK
http://www.astro.gla.ac.uk/users/norman/  :  www.starlink.ac.uk