On Tue, 25 Jan 2005, Peter W. Draper wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Jan 2005, Mark Taylor wrote:
>
> > I'm just about to start checking in major changes to Treeview -
> > basically splitting it into a library package called datanode and a
> > slimmed-down application package still called treeview.  This is
> > the job I've been putting off for a matter of years which will simplify
> > use of Treeview-like browser components in other applications
> > (it's currently very fiddly because you have to use a lot of reflection).
> >
> > One of the casualties of this will be
> > uk.ac.starlink.treeview.splat.SplatNodeChooser - this will have to be
> > replaced by a splat-dwelling non-reflective class which uses or extends
> > uk.ac.starlink.datanode.tree.TreeNodeChooser (or something similar).
> >
> > Is it OK for me to make the treeview changes on the main branch now?
> > If doing it now is going to cause you problems with SPLAT-VO
> > (or anyone problems with anything else) I can hold off.
>
> Mark,
>
> unless you know these changes are good, it might be best if you hold off
> on the commit (to the main branch anyway). I'd like to get SPLAT-VO
> finalised at some point soon. I seem to be trapped in GAIA support mode
> today, but it's nearly there, a successful nightly build would help,
> otherwise I'll need to package it myself.

Peter,

I've added the new DATANODE package and modified TOPCAT so it uses that
rather than Treeview and reflection.  The Treeview package is still
there in its old form though, so I believe (and hope!) this won't
affect the operation of any other packages.  I've just done a
build/install/test from clean checkout and it seems OK.

Can you give me an estimate of when it's likely to be OK to check in
potentially disruptive changes to Treeview?  I sense you're a bit
snowed under at the moment, so I don't want to add to your SPLAT woes,
but it would be useful to have an idea.

cheers,

Mark

--
Mark Taylor    Starlink Programmer     Physics,  Bristol University, UK
[log in to unmask] +44-117-928-8776 http://www.star.bris.ac.uk/~mbt/