On Thu, 6 Jan 2005, Norman Gray wrote:

> On 2004 Dec 27 , at 21.13, Tim Jenness wrote:
>
> >  * dipso
> >     - autobuild system ignores link dependencies
> >       so I've made TRN a build dependency for kaplibs
>
> The link dependencies shouldn't be required for just building.  The
> time the link dependencies _are_ required, is where there's a <build
> option='link'>Y</build> declaration for a component X -- that is, to
> build X, you need to have built Y, and because you're going to link
> against it, you must also have built all of Y's link dependencies.  I
> got the impression that Steve handled those in whatever it was that
> generates the list of dependencies for autobuild (and I was impressed,
> because it took me a couple of goes to get these things right in
> GenerateDependencies).
>
> That is to say, that if TRN isn't a direct build dependency for kaplibs
> (that is, kaplibs needs include files from it), but only a link
> dependency, then it shouldn't be declared as a build dependency, and
> this might be pointing to an error in the generated autobuild
> configuration.

I know all this. The problem was that over the long holiday I wanted to
make progress on the nightly build so I put in the hack to get it to work
(only to never see the fruit of this labour because the nightly build then
stopped happening and now doesn't even get past make world).

I was fully expecting the patch to be backed out when Steve fixed
autobuild.

--
Tim Jenness
JAC software