-----Original Message-----
From: - for physiotherapists in education and practice
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Murray Maitland
Sent: Tuesday, January 18, 2005 8:54 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Illiopsoas Bursitis

Dear Dr. Sood and Others:
Differential diagnosis of inguinal pain is exceeding difficult in my
mind. I have gathered some of the potential diagnoses for this set of
symptoms.  There is a saying that sometimes helps.
How         =     Hip/pelvis
To          =     Thigh
Approach    =     Abdomen
Groin       =     Genitalia
Pain        =     Referred Pain

Although this saying is vague, it shows that a large number of
anatomical regions can give rise to these symptoms, which are also
vague. Here are some of the more specific medical diagnoses that can be
directly associated. I expect that other people can add more.

Stress fractures of the femoral neck, pubic rami, femoral dyaphysis

Osteitis Pubis
Avulsion fractures (younger age group)
Muscular lesions, Musculo-tendinous lesions or Tendo-periosteal lesions
of:
        Adductor brevis, longus, magnus
        Rectus femoris
      Rectus abdominus
      Gracilis
      Iliopsoas
      Pectineus
        Sartorius
Acute tendonitis
      Rheumatic
      Inflammatory
      Metabolic (uric)
Osteoarticular lesion of:
             Sacrum:
                         tumours
                   sacroileitis
                 Hip:
                        epiphisiolysis
                      perthes
                        dysplasia
                        villonodular pigmented synovitis
                        traumatic synivitis
                        osteochondritis dissecans
                Lumbar spine:
                        discal lesion
                        spondylolisis
                        spondylolisthesis

Abdominal wall:
                 Inguinal hernia

Affections of the genitourinary tract:
    Urethritis
    Prostatitis
    Epididymitis
    Deferentitis
    Urethral calculus
    Torsion of the testis
    Varicocele
    Hydrocele
    Pubis osteitis after bladder and prostate surgeries as described by
BEER in 1924.
    Postinfiltration pubis osteitis
    Hematogenous pubis osteitis

Nerve entrapment syndromes

I hope this information is useful and I would be interested in other
people's suggestions.

Murray

Murray E. Maitland PhD PT
University of South Florida