Dear List
         I am currently involved in assisting the Maristow Estate who own
the Virtuous Lady Mine to try and acquire partial funding. So far the
organisations that have been approached are - Dartmoor National Park
Authority, English Nature, West Devon Borough Council and the Devon Bat
Group. Only the Bat Group have donated any monies. The Estate are trying
to raise about £3,000 to gate and secure the underground workings of the
mine, which in its day was a famous copper mine dating from Queen
Elizabeth's I time. The problems the Estate are encountering are agressive
mineral collectors, who have no regard for the bats, or the family who
live in the old Mine Captains house on top of the mine. During the last
couple of years explosives have been used to extract the minerals. The
Police have been informed of illegal trespass and the use of explosives.
Can anyone advise me where to look for funding please. Thank you in
anticipation of your response. Chris Kelland.