The etymology of Ploermel (plebs Armel) stirred my memory. Does the plebs
refer to a church or parish similar to the term pieve in Italy (e.g. Città
della Pieve)?  I seem to recall that term pieve may indicate either the
rural people (perhaps the Latin paganus) or to a baptismal church or parish
(which seems to be one of the possible meanings); but this is a hazy
recollection and may be wrong. Does the same meaning lie behind plebs.
Regrettably there is no French or Italian etymological dictionary to hand.
Many thanks for the reference, Andre-Yves, I am in your debt.

Wyn Thomas

Wyn Thomas
Prif Gatalogydd | Llyfrgellydd Gwybodaeth (Dyniaethau a'r Gwyddorau)
Y Llyfrgell
Prifysgol Cymru, Casnewydd,
Campws Caerleon
Blwch Post 179
Casnewydd
NP18 3YG

Chief Cataloguer | Information Librarian (Humanities and Science)
LIS | Library
University of Wales, Newport
Caerleon Campus Library
PO Box 179