Perhaps (overworked already) Phyllis could provide her source for the "pig's
foot" story, uh, legend, uh, urban legend, uh, baloney... Whatever...
I'll be out of town for a couple of weeks, escaping Mardi Gras, and will
await any enlightenment upon my return to the peace of Lent.
MG

>From: John Dillon <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: [M-R] saints of the day 29. January
>Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 20:34:06 -0600
>
>medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture
>
>Date: Friday, January 28, 2005, at 9:34 pm, Phyllis wrote:
>
> > Today (29. January) is the feast day of:
>
> > Juniper (d. 1258) (Apparently not formally canonized, for which I for
> > one am grateful)  Juniper was an early Franciscan who assisted in the
> > spread of the order.  I found a story about him which I think is
> > disgusting: J. was nursing a sick man who really craved a pig's foot.
> > So J. cornered a pig in a nearby field, hacked off one of its feet,
> > and cooked it up for the invalid.  The irate pig-owner complained to
> > J's superior.  J. apologized so movingly that the farmer donated the
> > rest of the pig.  Blech.
>
>Indeed.  Perhaps we need a new category: saints (vel sim.) with a lot of
>explaining to do.
>
>Getting past my immediate revulsion, I started to think that in another
>context much of this could be the opening of one of those outre'
>narratives that the legal profession has traditionally used to make
>legal principles memorable (or even for teaching persuasive argument --
>think of some of the pseudo-Quintilianic declamations!).  Not that
>that's likely to be part of the background of this story.  Does anyone
>know what its original venue and likely audience were?
>
>Best,
>John Dillon

>To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME
>to: [log in to unmask]
>To send a message to the list, address it to:
>To leave the list, send the message: leave medieval-religion
>to: [log in to unmask]
>In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to:
>For further information, visit our web site:
>http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]