An interesting passage.  Apparently written in Aramaic by someone whose first or
better language was Hebrew, but who also knew Neo-Babylonian (Akkadian).  The
mene, mene, tekel, parsin words appear to many observers as Neo-Babylonian, but
Aramaic is so close, it could be debated.  The text explaining the words are in
Aramaic, except that the word for 'balances' is borrowed from Hebrew, and
apparently not a common Aramaic term.  But, yes, the balance image is clearly
here, and serves as a symbol of judgment.

V. K. Inman

Quoting DANIEL KLINE <[log in to unmask]>:

> This is way out of my area of expertise, but isn't there also Daniel's
> interpretation of the writing on the wall at Belshazzar's feast in
> Daniel 5 (mene, mene, tekel, parsin)--you've been weighed in the
> balance and found wanting. The scales as an image of judgment?
>
> Best from Anchorage,
>
> Dan

> Daniel T. Kline
> Associate Professor of English
> U of Alaska Anchorage
> Anchorage, Alaska 99508
> hosting.uaa.alaska.edu/afdtk/ect_main.htm
>
> "Fortunately, I keep my feathers
> numbered for just such an emergency."

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]